Twin tuner configuration

Alt 07.12.2012, 00:20   # 1
menaibangor

Hi,
My apologies for writing this in English but my command of German doesn't stretch as far as writing in your language although I am fairly sufficient in reading and understanding.

My question:
I live in Manchester/UK and and use currently the following equipment:

1. Reelbox Avantgarde with 2 HD twin tuner cards.
2. One standard Sky dish with a single LNB pointed at Astra 2, 28.2 degree
and connected to one of the twin tuners (for watching FreeSat UK
channels).
3. A second 80cm dish again with a single LNB, pointed at Astra 19.2 degree
and connected to twin tuner number two ( for watching continental
stations).

However, I would like to make use of the twin tuner cards' potential to watch one channels whilst recording another (on both sat positions). Therefore I am planning to upgrade from the present system to a SINGLE dish configuration and have subsequently purchased the following:

1. One A.S.SAT Universal feed holder extension aluminium
2. Two TRIAX CS 40 HQ Quattro LNB 0.3dB 40mm
3. One TRIAX MFU-1 SET Multi feed set for 2 LNB`s for FESAT HQ/ Hit FESAT/ FESAT K
4. One TRIAX FESAT 95 HQ SET ZR Premium 95cm Offset-Sat dish
5. One TRIAX NTS-1 SET e for Alu-feed holder for FESAT HQ

What would be the required setup/configuration for dish/LNB/ twin tuners to enable me watching one channel whilst recording another programme and what additional equipment would I still need?

Your help and guidance appreciated. Many thanks.

Your help and guidance would be appreciated
Alt 07.12.2012, 00:20 # --
netzwelt.de

Benutzerbild von netzwelt.de

Alt 07.12.2012, 06:33   # 2
King W.
Team SAT-Technik

Benutzerbild von King W.

Hello and nw welcome

(sorry, no English smiley available)

Zitat:
My apologies for writing this in English
Nothing to apologize. I'm in the same situation, but vice-versa. Reading and understanding your language is no problem, but writing is not so easy.

Now to your matter of concern:

The TRIAX FESAT 95 HQ SET ZR is a dish of high quality, and suitable for your task. On the other hand, I don't understand, why you have bought an universal feed-holder AND the TRIAX MFU-1 SET AND the NTF-1 SET.

A feed-holder for a single feed is a component of the dish (at least here in Germany), and you only need an option to fix the second feed. The MFU-1 Set is sufficient for that task. The NTF-1 SET is only required, if the dish is delivered with an open feed-arm without any feed-holder.

Here's a picture of a similar dish with the MFU-1 Set mounted.

gibertini

In Manchester, the multi-feed-holder must be mounted inclined (the correct angle is approximately 16 degrees), so that the left (seen from behind the dish) LNB, which should receive Astra 19° is deeper than the right LNB, that receives Astra 2.

Sorry, but the LNB's themselves, you purchased, are wrong. You don't need Quattro-LNB's but Quad-LNB's with a build-in Multiswitch.

The additional equipment required for your task are two "DiSEqC-Switches" or a double DiSEqC-Switch, for example this one. Connect both contacts "LNB SAT1" with your Astra-LNB and the contacts "LNB SAT2" with the Astra 2-LNB (or vice-versa, if you wish). The contacts "Receiver 1" and "Receiver 2" of the DiSEqC-Switch lead to your REEL-Box.

You write
Zitat:
Reelbox Avantgarde with 2 HD twin tuner cards.
Does it mean, that you need four lines all in all? Then, of course, two double DiSEqC-Switches are required.

At last, you have to activate the DiSEqC-control of your tuner cards, and set Astra to DiSEqC 1 and Astra 2 to DiSEqC 2 (or vice-versa, depending on the connections to the DiSEqC-Switch you have done before).

Now, everything should work properly.

And - please excuse my poor English.
Alt 07.12.2012, 09:41   # 3
menaibangor
Threadstarter

Good morning Sir,

First thing first. Many thanks for your fast and competent reply written in perfectly understandable and EXCELLENT English. I wish my command of the German language would be as half as good!
I should have obviously asked for your advice first before actually buying all this stuff. I shall sell the superfluous parts on eBay and order the correct items as outlined in your guide above.

Regarding the number of lines in. I don't need a multi-room setup; just TV facilities in the lounge. However, I was under the impression that I need TWO twin cards for watching UK and continental channels, one for each LNB? I therefore bought these two 'Reel Dual Tuner für Sat-Empfang DVB-S/-S2'. Wrong purchase too?

Finally, many thanks again for your patience in dealing with my rather confusing requirements (and buying patterns!).
Alt 07.12.2012, 13:26   # 4
menaibangor
Threadstarter

Hi

In addition to my recent mail, would SEH be able to send me the UMS-225 multi-switch (fitted indoors or outdoors?) and the two required quad LNB either also from the Triax/Hirschmann range or LNBs' of equally high quality from another manufacturer?

Happy to pay in advance.

Cheers
Alt 07.12.2012, 17:38   # 5
polskafan
Team SAT-Technik

Hi,

using a DiSEqC switch you multiplex the signals of the two LNB together on one coax cable. The receiver then remotely switches between the two LNB inputs on the DiSEqC switch. This way you can watch both satellite positions using just one input on your Reelbox. If a twin tuner setup is sufficient, you only need one twin tuner card in this setup and you can sell the second unused twin tuner card. If you want to, you could go for a quad tuner configuration which would give you the flexibility to watch up to four different channels across both satellite positions. In this case you would need a second UMS-225, one for each twin tuner card.

Greetings
- polskafan
Alt 08.12.2012, 00:08   # 6
King W.
Team SAT-Technik

Benutzerbild von King W.

Zitat:
Zitat von menaibangor Beitrag anzeigen
Hi

In addition to my recent mail, would SEH be able to send me the UMS-225 multi-switch (fitted indoors or outdoors?) and the two required quad LNB either also from the Triax/Hirschmann range or LNBs' of equally high quality from another manufacturer?

Happy to pay in advance.

Cheers
Yes, of course.
SEH has customers in many different countries. Few countries are excluded, UK isn't.

The UMS-225 is delivered with a weather-protection casing for outdoor use. You can easily fix the casing behind the dish using cable-ties.

The initially made high quality CS-40 by Hirschmann is out of production and no longer available, the substitute is of a quality, I don't really want to recommend.

We prefer to recommend this one, the "undestroyable" Alps. It's appropriate for Astra as well as Astra 2.
Alt 20.12.2012, 13:28   # 7
menaibangor
Threadstarter

Hi
Many thanks for both replies.
As recommended, I've now obtained:

1. EMP S4/2PCN-W2 (P.166-W) - 4/2 DiSEqC- switch
2. Two Schwaiger FLS995R 031 Universal-Quad LNB with quattro switch

However, I am still slightly confused about the correct wiring sequence 'LNB to DiSEqC to tuner card(s).

As mentioned earlier the ability to watch one channel and simultaneously record from another is important. My current setup only allows me to do this across the two satellite positions e.g. watching one programme on 19.2 and make a recording on 28.2 but not on the same sat position which is however, what I am aiming for.

As I understand from the discussion so far I would need to connect as follows (using only one twin tuner card):

1. Two Coax connected to each of the two LNB ports (just using 2 of the 4 available
outputs?).
2. The 4 cables then connected to their respective (Astra / Astra 2) inputs on the DiSEqC
switch.
3. On single coax from each of the DiSEqC's two receiver outputs to the Reelbox twin tuner
card (the second card therefore not needed).
4. Appropriate DiSEqC / tuner configuration in the Reelbox setup?

Are my assumptions correct or did I got this completely wrong?

Your help and guidance greatly appreciated.

Regards
menaibangor
Alt 20.12.2012, 15:01   # 8
King W.
Team SAT-Technik

Benutzerbild von King W.

Zitat:
Zitat von menaibangor Beitrag anzeigen
Hi
Many thanks for both replies.
As recommended, I've now obtained:

1. EMP S4/2PCN-W2 (P.166-W) - 4/2 DiSEqC- switch
2. Two Schwaiger FLS995R 031 Universal-Quad LNB with quattro switch
That's OK.

Zitat:

As I understand from the discussion so far I would need to connect as follows (using only one twin tuner card):

1. Two Coax connected to each of the two LNB ports (just using 2 of the 4 available
outputs?).
2. The 4 cables then connected to their respective (Astra / Astra 2) inputs on the DiSEqC
switch.
3. On single coax from each of the DiSEqC's two receiver outputs to the Reelbox twin tuner
card (the second card therefore not needed).
4. Appropriate DiSEqC / tuner configuration in the Reelbox setup?

Are my assumptions correct or did I got this completely wrong?
1. Absolutely correct. Two of the LNB ports are connected to the switch, the other 2 outputs remain unused or can be connected for instance to another 4/2 DiSEqC-switch, if you wish.

2. - 4. Correct as well.

Even though I think it should be unneccessary, here is the Instruction Manual of the switch with a wiring diagram.

Good luck!
Alt 20.12.2012, 15:52   # 9
menaibangor
Threadstarter

Thank you ever so much for all your help (and patience).

Great forum. Competent and truly useful.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Alt 20.12.2012, 16:08   # 10
King W.
Team SAT-Technik

Benutzerbild von King W.

The same to you and your family.

Alt 19.04.2014, 06:30 # --
News Flash

Benutzerbild von News Flash

Alt 19.04.2014, 06:30 # --
netzwelt.de

Benutzerbild von netzwelt.de

Antwort
Themen-Optionen

Alle Zeitangaben in WEZ +1. Es ist jetzt 05:30 Uhr.